- Q150 + Nvidia Ion + Ubuntu 10.10 + HDMI + Lan
- There are random eth0 errors which cable power is not detected. Simply, shut the system down for 5-10 seconds and reboot.
Nvidia Ion, HDMI:
- Most of the major issues are related to the Nvidia driver, and the opensource driver does not work in my case (overscanned). This could be fixed by using proprietary drivers:
- System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers -> Enable restricted drivers
Sound over HDMI, Wifi, XBMC (a nice home-theatre system):
- This article already covers the issues. I would suggest using XBMC for home entertainment than other media players for better performance.
Google Chromium with Nvidia Ion (fast and energy-wise):
- The updated version should support the hardware acceleration automatically. In order to get the most updated version read this article.
MPlayer/SMPlayer with Nvidia Ion:
- I prefer playing TV series on SMPlayer. To enable hardware acceleration and the ability to play HD movies, just do the following:
- Open SMPlayer
- Options -> Preferences -> General -> Video -> Output driver-> vdpau
- Performance -> Performance (bad naming, by the way) -> Allow hard frame drop
- Performance -> Performance -> H.256 -> Loop filter -> Skip (always)
- I can play up to 720p-h.264 movies on SMPlayer. In this case VDPAU is not as fast as I expected because you can still notice the video distortion from the hard frame drop. This could be a bug in MPlayer?. In the mean time, I would suggest XBMC for all media.